Re: [OM] clever use of available sensor real estate

Subject: Re: [OM] clever use of available sensor real estate
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 14:03:08 -0700
Moose wrote:
> C.H.Ling wrote:
>
>> It is a little strange, for ISO800 test the F31fd was using 1/340s F5.6 but
>> the F200EXR was using 1/75s F12! It will sure hurt the details.
>>

> Hard to fault the testers. The F200 is in the line of fully automatic Fuji F
> series cameras. so far, only the F11, 30 and 31 have any aperture/speed
> preferred and manual controls settings. So if they want to take a test shot
> with their standard setup and lighting, they get what the camera gives them.

My mistake. Some others of the F series have some manual control.
However, as dpreview points out, because of the nature of the
two-pseudo-aperture-settings design, using simple EV compensation for
anything up to +- 2 stops is essentially the same as using the aperture
preferred setting.

Cameras where "aperture" setting has little or no effect on DOF and the
variables for exposure control are ND filter, ISO and shutter speed,
move ever farther from the film world.

Moose