[OM] clever use of available sensor real estate

Subject: [OM] clever use of available sensor real estate
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 19:51:54 -0400
Found this quote from one of the chdk hackers:

"
  No ND filter in A6xx series
« Reply #21 on: 22 / February / 2008, 10:52:47 »

-------
There is no physical ND filter in the A6xx series (A610, A620, A630,
A640, A650).

This is good because the IXUS and A7xx cameras only have NDs because
they do not have a real iris to control the aperture - so it is a
workaround.

However, it is bad, because higher level cameras (the G series, from G3
through G9) have the ND filter AS WELL as real iris aperture. In this
situation the ND filter is useful because it can be used in certain
situations to reduce shutter speeds or open the aperture further while
still preventing overexposure "

Seems clear theA650 and g9 use iris control.
Not from the horse's  mouth but haven't come across much erroneus data
from the chdk forum.
 Mike

Moose says:
. My next question is going to be whether my A650 IS uses
an ND filter, as is believe the internally similar G9 does. That could
affect my choices of aperture.