Re: [OM] Working hours

Subject: Re: [OM] Working hours
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 22:27:46 -0700
Andrew Fildes wrote:
> Has it occurred that about 3-5% of the population is unemployed because they
> are fundamentally unemployable? The mad, the bad and the sad; the challenged
> in oh so many ways.

I would add a very small number of really wise and/or smart people who
find a way to meet their modest needs and live lives of simple beauty,
at least for themselves, without regular, gainful employment.

> I have encountered in a classroom a small proportion who no-one in their
> right mind would ever employ. Unfortunately, at one point, that included my
> Principal but that is a quite different story.

Ah yes. I had "The Boss From Hell" for about five years. Such serious
personality defects that he had a clear effect of pulling down everyone
around him. I have never done so much totally over the top, meaningless
busywork. His compensatory skill was an astonishing ability to brown nose.

Eventually, he decided, based on some internal madness that I was doing
a fairly important budget task wrong for theoretical reasons. And the
fool took it away from me, thinking I must suppose that he would do such
a great job that it would raise his profile. He left the real world,
where experience and knowing the people involved and their strengths and
weaknesses, and went into never, never land.

He managed to take something I'd been doing on an off for many years, so
it took only a few hours of my time, turn it into a big project, and
completely bollox it up. With my groundwork laid the first year, he
didn't screw up too bad. The next year, Hallelujah, he was off by more
than the entire item value, about 200%, as I recall.

He'd wasted millions before, but never so out in the open. What a happy
day when his boss announced he was being fired by the CEO, over said
bosses strenuous objections. Man, John was good at brown nosing!

A previous, good boss, had the motto "Non Illegitimati Carborundum" in
his office. I lived by that during John's tenure, outplayed, outwitted
and outlasted him.

Moose