Re: [OM] Trip to Canada in June

Subject: Re: [OM] Trip to Canada in June
From: Michael Collins <MRC.OlympusList@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 12:23:20 -0400
On 5/6/09 11:26 AM, Jez Cunningham wrote:
> Hi - and thanks in advance for your help...
> We're taking a trip to Canada in mid-June - arriving by plane in Montreal to
> stay with a friend over the weekend, then working our way to other friends
> in Niagara-on-the-Lake towards the end of the week, returning to Montreal to
> fly back home on the following Monday.
>
> So we have a few days (approx Mon-Thurs) to wend our way towards Toronto.  I
> guess we'll have a rental car the whole time (unless you tell us a train
> ride is worth doing?)

Nothing much to see from that train ride, so skip it. But then the highway
(401) view is pretty unimpressive, too.

> and we need some recommendations for 'must see' things
> in the area.  Montreal and Niagara local attractions will be guided by our
> friends.  So I'm looking for other places 'worth the detour' for
> architecture, landscape (and shopping for SWMBO) ?

It's pretty flat country, so other than rivers there's not a whole lot of
landscape to recommend.

You should consider first detouring via Ottawa - it's only about 2 hours
from Montreal, and getting back onto the path to Toronto is straightforward.
I don't know what to recommend in the area, but there's quite a variety of
"Canadian Museum of ..." institutions. Perhaps tOM Trottier will jump in
here.

On the drive towards Toronto you'll pass Upper Canada Village
<www.uppercanadavillage.com> in Morrisburg, a re-creation of a small 19th
century village, largely from buildings moved before the flooding that
created that part of the St. Lawrence Seaway. If you have an interest in
history, it would be worthwhile.

At Gananoque you'll want to detour off the main highway onto the Thousand
Islands Parkway, a slower but much more scenic drive beside the river for
about 45 km. Plenty of places for a picnic stop.

You can detour via the "Loyalist Parkway" <www.loyalistparkway.org> from
Kingston to Trenton if anything there catches your interest. It's
picturesque country anyway, so probably worth taking the extra time.

Can't remember if you're interested in military aviation history, but you'll
pass by the National Air Force Museum <http://www.airforcemuseum.ca> in
Trenton.

If you're spending any time in Toronto, there's more than enough to do and
plenty of shopping opportunities for SWMBO. I'd spend the time: strolling on
the Toronto Islands; visiting the Distillery Historic District; at Luminato
(the "Toronto Festival of Arts and Creativity" <www.luminatotoronto.com>)
June 5-14 if that's when you're here; and at the Art Gallery of Ontario
and/or the Royal Ontario Museum. Plus the usual variety of live music and
other big-city stuff.

TORONTO to NIAGARA-ON-THE-LAKE (1-1/2 to 2 hour drive)

More military aviation history: the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum
<www.warplane.com> is in the Hamilton area.

Closer to Niagara-on-the-Lake [NotL for short] you'll pass through the
Niagara winery area, so check with your NotL friends to decide what to visit
- they may choose to meet you on the way. I'd suggest the small Southbrook
winery <www.southbrook.com> only because good friends of mine own it :-) .

BACK TO MONTREAL

>From NotL, you could consider going through Upper New York State for part of
the way (visa arrangements permitting), then back up to Ontario at Kingston
for the rest of the trip. I'm sure our resident NY Staters will have good
advice - you'd be travelling through the Finger Lakes region, which is said
to be quite scenic.

That's what comes to mind right now; I'll pass on any other ideas that pop
up.

Michael