Re: [OM] [OT] Advice re using non-Microsoft op sys.

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Advice re using non-Microsoft op sys.
From: Marc Lawrence <montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 11:02:23 +1000
09/5/8 Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>  It is also possible to (using magic
> unknown to me) install GIMP under Windows.

No magic is required. A simple installer for Windows is available here:

http://www.gimp.org/windows/

It's really no more complicated than any other software install for Windows.

> But before you decide to do
> anything along these lines I would suggest you read this page.
> <http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32//index.html>
> What you see here is typical of Linux/Unix application speak.  If you
> don't understand what's on this page don't go there.

This seems like unnecessary FUD to me, Chuck. As mentioned, the
installer above is about as simple as any other. The very first link
in your link takes you to the relevant download I mention above, and
the rest of the stuff on that page (I don't know how you got there,
but the bottom of the Gimp's homepage has a direct link to the Windows
download area) is related to developers. "Free" (or GPL'd) software by
its nature has areas dedicated to development and developers, seeing
as you are able to obtain source and develop and package it as you
desire, and so the "Linux application speak" there is no more of a
necessity to understand than a subscription and understanding of
Microsoft TechNet bulletins is required to use MS Office. To suggest
that not understanding the "speak" on this page is sufficient to avoid
The Gimp does not seem an accurate representation of reality (or, if
you are more broadly referring to Linux, then see my post on Ubuntu).

I will say that I am not a big fan of The Gimp's UI. As with Vista,
this is likely an "anchovies" thing rather than a criticism. Still,
the price is good, and on the rare occasions I need something beyond
what Apple Aperture provides, The Gimp provides (it also runs in OS X
:) ).

Cheers,
Marc