Re: [OM] [OT] Advice re using non-Microsoft op sys.

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Advice re using non-Microsoft op sys.
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 21:34:42 +1200
Chuck wrote
> There isn't anything from Adobe that is compatible with Linux.  And, even
> if there was, just as there are different run time versions of PhotoShop
> for Windows and Macs, it would require a different set of application
> object code for Linux.  You can, however, create a dual boot machine or
> possibly (just a wild guess on my part) run Windows as a virtual machine
> under Linux.  But this won't save you from a reinstall.
>   It will just cause you to do two... more difficult installs.
>
> The closest thing to PhotoShop for Linux is called the GIMP.  You'd have
> to take an extensive look at it to see if it would meet your needs.  The
> only thing I care about is that it's not PhotoShop and I don't have much
> desire to redo my four years of learning how to use (a small part of)
> PhotoShop. <http://www.gimp.org/>  It is also possible to (using magic
> unknown to me) install GIMP under Windows.  But before you decide to do
> anything along these lines I would suggest you read this page.
> <http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32//index.html> What you see here is
> typical of Linux/Unix application speak.  If you don't understand what's
> on this page don't go there.  It always amazes me that the free software
> and Linux crowd doesn't seem to understand why people stick with Windows.
> This page is the perfect example (and I even used to was an operating
> system development guy) Most folks haven't even
>   a clue about dealing with Windows let alone Linux.

I have The Gimp running under Windows 95, 98 and XP.

No problem at all. You just have to download the suitable version.

Cheers, Brian Swale
PS; The Gimp can't do some thing PS can - eg, I never found a way to get
The Gimp to write text on a jpg or gif image. PS does it as easy as pie.
I used PS to write the txt on the hot buttons I made for my photography site.