Re: [OM] That's Not a Bokeh, This is a Bokeh

Subject: Re: [OM] That's Not a Bokeh, This is a Bokeh
From: Donald <d1956m198d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 11:45:22 +0100
Bob Whitmire wrote:
>  For some reason that whole day remains very clear in
> my memory. Like many April days in New England, it started cold (3
> a.m.) and got much warmer after the sun came up. Of course we had been
> ordered to dress for the cold, not the warmth. It's the Army way.
>
> --Bob Whitmire
> www.bwp33.com

I'm convinced we all have a 'good story trigger', especially those of us
who have been 'in' or spent any time in a large corporation. The trigger
is activated when some crazy piece of corporate hogwash kicks in, and we
remember it all perfectly, to be recounted again and again at
appropriate moments. You can live off such stories.

One of my favourite archetypes of the 'in' story is of Harry 'Ginger'
Lacy, WW2 pilot. While stationed in the Far East, Harry had to drive
from one SEAC base to another. He was asked to transport the new base
cook, a native, who would be waiting for him at the gate.

Harry duly picked up said native, took him to the base, and on his
return was asked why he hadn't picked up the cook as asked.

Turns out the guy he picked up had been hired to dig the latrines, the
cook had arrived on time, no Harry.

Best bit, and the point of the tale, is that having begun the induction
process of hiring the latrine-digger as a cook, it took months to
reverse the process, and eject him!

I presume the latrines went undug, meantime.

D.
--
I'm a Mac, but I'm happy with my PC.