Re: [OM] [OT] Advice re using non-Microsoft op sys.

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Advice re using non-Microsoft op sys.
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 16:24:59 -0400
I think I just got caught up in the Unix talk.  In the Unix/Linux world
there are lots of hardware differences which are resolved by
distributing applications as source.  The installer then compiles the
source to object code for the target machine (including the GUI
interface of choice) and then does the actual install.  I think binary
installs are a relative rarity.

Winders, on the other hand, only does binary installs because both the
hardware and the software interfaces are compatible over long periods of
time and technological change.  In order for a Windows version to work
there would have had to be Windows specific source code generated at
some point.  However, none of the Window stuff on GIMP speaks of Windows
source code "versions" only installers.  I was very confused and
couldn't see how that would work.

Chuck Norcutt