Re: [OM] ( OM ) Adobe rgb or not to be?

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Adobe rgb or not to be?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 20:29:26 -0700
Brian Swale wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have redone one of the images I sent yesterday, trying to get a version of
> rgb that is not Adobe. See the bottom two entries at the URL below.
>
> http://www.brianswale.com/zuikoholics/index.htm
>
> I come to the conclusion that I do not have a program (Marc, not even The
> Gimp will do it for me) that enables me to alter the kind of rgb that makes
> up my images.

Your camera was set to output sRGB when shooting JPEGs

P5040492-Moonrise-over-Mackenzie-moraines.jpg is sRGB

P5040492-moon-resized-in-PS.jpg is sRGB.
It is also damaged, with the bottom part missing.

P5040492-moon-via-PS-and-Gimp.jpg does not have an embedded profile.
Overlaying it on the prior one, there is no color change when flipping
it on and off, so the actual color space is sRGB
It is also damaged, with less of the bottom part missing.

In PS, you may set warning dialogs to pop up for differences between
working color space and that in the file being loaded and to warn when
the file being loaded doesn't have a color space embedded. (Embedded
simply means that the file has an internal field that tells apps reading
it what color space it was saved in.) Edit=>Color Settings=>Color
Management Policies.

You may also see what the current color space of an image in PS is.
Edit=>Convert to Profile shows the existing profile from which it will
be converted if you proceed.

> I do want to sort this out as my photofinisher detected that the version of
> Irfanview I use, employs Adobe rgb, and he said that the "other" kind(s) give
> significantly better colour. So, for the moment I'm stumped.

I don't know about other files you may have sent him. These you asked
about are all sRGB. Print services almost all actually print from sRGB
files. Generally, they will simply convert aRGB files to sRGB, if
necessary, before printing.

> I'm going to download and install the latest version of U=Irfanview and see
> if it has changed in this regard.

Perhaps that isn't necessary, as you were apparently misinformed as to
what it was doing.

> Meantime, I have a significant problem to sort out with my uploading of
> files. It seems I can't upload more than about 300kb before the connection
> craps out; the server seems to think I have timed out. Grrr !!

Unless the price difference is significant to your financial situation,
I can't see why you don't upgrade from dial-up. The amount of time and
annoyance you are putting into issues that will disappear with broadband
sounds excessive to me.

> Anyway, I'd welcome hearing if any of you can detect what version of rgb each
> of the bottom 2 files are.

Done

Moose