Re: [OM] ( OM ) Adobe rgb or not to be?

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Adobe rgb or not to be?
From: Richard Man <richard.lists@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 21:59:20 -0700
On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 9:10 PM, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Richard Man wrote:
> > For web and printing, you MUST convert to sRGB, not Adobe RGB.
>
> MUST? Weeeellll, not quite.

MUST for 95% of the case, but you know that :-)

If you know why you won't need sRGB, then you won't be needing to read this
post!! :-)

> For the web, Safari and IE are color aware, and will correctly interpret
> and display files with embedded aRGB profiles. FireFox doesn't do that
> by default, but is easy to switch. And there ARE differences for some
> colors.
>
> For printing, most inkjets are actually CYMK internally. Either color
> aware apps like PS or the printer driver are perfectly capable of doing
> the necessary conversion to print from an aRGB file. The dedicated
> printer driver or RIP will likely do a better job working directly from
> aRGB, if that's what you have, than letting your editor do the aRGB to
> sRGB conversion.

99% of the consumers printers and most industrial printers including the HP
indigo use sRGB input even though the actual printing process is CMYK. It
must go through the sRGB in the middle in almost all cases. If you know why
you won't need sRGB, then you won't be needing to read this post!! :-)

> Most commercial labe doing laser prints will accept either, and do their
> own conversion. They may advise that you do your own conversion and
> proofing to retain the most complete control over the results.
>
> > The usual workflow recommendation is to work in Adobe RGB and convert at
> the end, but some people just stay with sRGB throughout. It makes the most
> difference if you do do lots of color manipulations.
> >

> Or if your source file is aRGB. The issues around color space can be
> pretty complex.

No duh. There are many books on it, so for most people, keep it simple, as I
have written.

--
// richard m: richard @imagecraft.com
// w: http://www.rfman.com