Re: [OM] Bokeh on Film vs Digital

Subject: Re: [OM] Bokeh on Film vs Digital
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 09:04:55 -0500

> Sorry, Ken, In all respect I must still disagree with several of your
> assertions regarding bokeh on digital and film.

That's okay. I disagree with myself most of the too.  :)

The point of my post was really to get people to think about this and test
and try. I've come to conclusions based on my own usage and testing that
there are differences AND as an engineer I try to figure out why these
differences exist.  As others have pointed out, maybe it has less to do with
the capture medium and more to do with the rest of the imaging process-flow.

It is possible that my conclusions are wrong. That's fair.  I've been making
assumptions based on evidences and opinions of others whom I respect. We may
be wrong.  But in the same vein, collectively the majority of photographers
could be wrong in their assumption of superiority of one medium over
another. Mob rule leads to things like witch trials and Wal-Marts.

Over the weekend, I revisited some of my old images looking for supporting
evidence of my claims regarding the 100/2.8. Actually, it wasn't hard to
figure out. Even at "thumbnail" size (ie, looking at the slide) and
examining it with a loupe, it was clear to me a difference in the imaging
qualities as compared to what I've been looking at for the past several
years with digital.

Is it something that would show up in a controlled grid-like test with hard
numbers showing the differences?  I don't know, honestly, I don't.  But
there is a feel to the images within the body of work which leads you to
identify what is real and what is Memorex.

I must also note that my file research revealed something else which I'm not
quite prepared to tell about at the moment, but will result in a titannic
shift in my imaging system. It is significant enough that I completely
cancelled a multi-hundred dollar purchase to further research it

AG