Re: [OM] ( OM ) Adobe rgb or not to be?

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Adobe rgb or not to be?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 09:19:03 -0500

> I see plenty of RA4 prints that were made from sRGB files that look to my
> eye better than most inkjet prints from wide gamut machines. Don't know
> why, but I'll bet contrast is part of it.

Bill, I absolutely agree with you.  I'm looking at four 11x14s right now
that back your theory. I'm not sure what more would be gained through a
wider gamut, but I have intense colors and contrast throughout the prints.
If a wide gamut inkjet printer could reveal more gamut, the result would
most likely be lost the moment you put the print behind glass or subject it
to normal room lighting.

Michael Richtmann is spouting off on this very topic this week in his review
of Epson's latest/greatest.  While I'm sure HIS images from HIS cameras
might get noticably degraded in an sRGB output device, but I'm just a mere
mortal and my images from lowly Velvia slide film or Olympus digital cameras
aren't worthy of such treatment.

AG