Re: [OM] ( OM ) Adobe rgb or not to be?

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Adobe rgb or not to be?
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 10:38:32 -0700
> From: Richard Man <evpuneq.yvfgf@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> For web and printing, you MUST convert to sRGB, not Adobe RGB.

May I qualify that statement a bit?

I'd say, "For obsolete or out-of-date web browsers and inexpensive
photo-finishing shops, you must convert to sRGB."

Safari (and I think, Firefox and other Mozilla-based browsers) do just
fine with arbitrary embedded colour profiles. I think (and I'm sure
someone will correct me if wrong!) that MIE is still colour-profile
blind.

What you need to be extra careful of is not necessarily converting to
sRGB, but stripping the embedded colour profile when you haven't
converted, because in the absence of a colour profile, even profile-
aware browsers will assume it's sRGB.

For drug-store kiosk printing, it's probably a good idea to convert to
sRGB. Certainly for home printing, or for using a professional
printer, you can get better results (sometimes dramatically better
results) with larger colour spaces, with the image properly tagged
with the embedded profile.

It all depends on whether you consider yourself "golden eyes" or not.
If you're not too picky, by all means, do everything in sRGB and don't
worry. But if you're discerning enough to tell the difference between
a Zuiko 50/1.8 that says "Made in Japan" from one that says "Japan,"
you probably would benefit from learning more about colour profiles,
rather than simply converting everything to sRGB for printing.

:::: The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable
one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.  Therefore all
progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ::::
:::: Jan Steinman, EcoReality http://www.EcoReality.org ::::