Re: [OM] [OT] Questions for enlarging lens

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Questions for enlarging lens
From: "Piers Hemy" <Piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 16:43:17 +0100
Michael, among the Nikon bellows, you will typically find that PB-4 is more
expensive than most, even the more recent models.  The reason is that the
PB-4 has the facility for tilt and shift, which makes it very useful indeed
for macro work, where the use of tilt (otherwise called swing) allows much
greater control of depth of field than is possible with just the diaphragm
(f-stop) at high magnification.  The PB-4 is the best made bellows I have
seen - slightly better even that the OM bellows - but it is likely no better
than any other Nikon bellows.

Both OM and Nikon are very much more sturdy than unbranded aftermarket
bellows (of which I have used a few).  Generally the unbranded bellows do
not have the twin-rail facility of both OM and Nikon PB-4 (the eBay item you
linked to does not have it either) - this is important for macro work, as
focusing is usually accomplished by moving the camera forwards/backwards,
having already set the required magnification by adjusting the bellows.  If
you get bellow without the twin rail, you will have to get a focusing rail
in addition.

Other than the PB-4, tilt/shift bellows are very rare.  Hama made one model.
I think Spiratone did too.  Kopil made a Bellowsmat in Leica and Exakta
mounts. I have not seen more than one or two of any of them.

Piers