Re: [OM] Bokeh on Film vs Digital

Subject: Re: [OM] Bokeh on Film vs Digital
From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 09:18:31 -0700 (PDT)
You guyses aren't helping at all...I am a click away from owning this:

http://www.dannyburk.com/fuji_gx680iii.htm

I often dreamed about owning and taking great pix with it of course.

The only thing between me and the camera is the $1200 that I have to fork up at
the end of the month for surgery.  Dog surgery.

Boris

Re: [OM] Bokeh on Film vs Digital

From:
Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Date:
Wed, 13 May 2009 17:33:44 +0200

Come on... tell us... You also decided to start using Medium Format?

I have recently come to the conclusion that the Mamiya 65mm
(I have a Sekor C f/4.5, which is a bit worse than the new Sekor K/L f/
4.0,
which is a bit worse than the 65mm f/4.0 on the M 7 rangefinder)
is the all-time best lens ever.

Honestly, I don't know why we muck about with these other toys (35mm
film
photography, I mean) except for extreme tele, ultra-wide, and >1:1
macro -
This lens (like most Mamiya lenses, in fact) re-define what one can
expect
from a lens. I have never seen MTF charts for this lens, but this lens
feels like a Leica M Summicron 35mm f/2.0 (same angle of view, also) but
over a 6x7cm image. This lens does not understand the words "flare",
"coma",
"distortion" or "chromatic abberation".

You can crop a 35mm-frame-sized portion fron the extreme corner of a
shot taken
wide open in harsh lighting at night, and it is simply every bit as
good as the best
lenses I have used for 35mm in absolute terms.

One day when I get a real scanner, I will show those of you who are
disbelievers :-)
If you have a Mamiya RB body, you have to try one out - at around $200
on the *bay if
you're lucky, it's simply unbelievable value.

So yes... Ken. I am sure that you've tried MF before, but things are
so affordable
right now, it's worth a look. If not - well, it was worth a shot.

On 13 May 2009, at 4:34 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
<snip>
> Let's just say that there have been some recent film developments I
> didn't
> adequately research.
<snip>