Re: [OM] (OT) High Noon

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) High Noon
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 09:15:35 -0400
On May 15, 2009, at 8:57 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:

> The lighthouse was slightly tilted but the biggest problem was
> significant perspective distortion which should have been corrected
> with
> a view camera.  I couldn't stand it.  My wife didn't know what I was
> talking about.  That's usually the case with us when it comes to
> things
> photographic.  :-)

That's something I try to keep in mind when thinking about my
customers. The vast majority of them carry little P&S jobs, if they
carry anything at all. They neither understand nor care about the
technical aspects of photography, but they have immediate and visceral
reactions to images. Usually some level of technical quality has to be
there for the reactions to occur, but not always.

I know one lady who sells a fair amount of photographs, which are
almost exact matches of tourist shots right down to blown highlights
and washed out colors. The difference is, she makes them bigger and
puts mats around them. Some have eyes only for her stuff. There's no
accounting for taste. My wife, by the way, sounds a lot like yours.
She feigns interest up to a point, but then I can see the glazing
start in the eyes and I know it's time to change the subject. Now, I'm
lucky if I get a couple of sentences into an exposition before the
aforementioned glazing begins. <g>

--Bob Whitmire
www.bwp33.com