Re: [OM] ( OM) Re Zone-10 and download times

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM) Re Zone-10 and download times
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 09:05:08 -0500

> Opera reported about 750kb page size and it didn't seem to take too long.
> maybe the anticipation of great images distracted me and made me more
> patient.

750k for the home page, at the moment, sounds about right--one image alone
accounts for over half of that.  Fortunately, the way this CMS (content
management system) works is to try and get the text elements up as soon as
possible and then fill in the images. It doesn't always do that, but usually
it does.   It also depends on the caching. If you are hitting "active"
screens the CMS has the those pages cached and will present the page in a
slightly quicker manner without as many PHP queries. If you are hitting
obscure pages on the site, nothing other than the common elements are
cached. Honestly, though, when I disable caching altogether I see little to
no speed difference except for the home page which is probably a second or
two faster--at best.

Really, if the advertisements add to your income, put them back; I'm sorry I
> spoke in the first place. As I said before, I wasn't criticising you or
> your
> pages, used them as an example.

It does, but not enough to really bother with.  I've been a bit disappointed
with the results, so essentially I just kept the B&H link on the left column
because I use B&H so much that I appreciate the "rebate" it gives me.
Still, I'm hoping somebody buys a Phase One P65+ through my B&H link.  :)

> Tonight I read your pages about field macro - a great read and nice images.
> Surely those flower images would sell.

Thank you. In that Field Macro article, there is one image I had printed up
for resale and it sold within the week. Of the tulip pictures, two have
already been used by clients for screen backgrounds. (projection systems in
Houses of Worship). I also have a print request for the vertical.  Not too
shabby for something I just took during a lunch hour last week.  It pays for
the film.  :)

A side note regarding the flower macro pictures.  On several occasions over
the past week, I had people walk past my desk and come to a screeching halt
when they saw the tulip picture on my screen background. Two people,
photographers themselves, asked how in the world I got that picture?
"Ancient Japanese Secret" I answered...

AG