Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 13/05/2009: goal!

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 13/05/2009: goal!
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 19:27:26 +0200
Hi Chris,

First of all, thanks for commenting. I wish people would not be shy to
give negative feedback. I ask for comments because I want to know what
people think of the picture. Of course it is nicer when they like it,
but when they don't, and explain why they don't, it can be even more
useful. So once again: THANKS!

To address your specific points: I realize that the picture suffers
from noise/grain and other technical imperfections. For those reasons,
I hesitated a bit before uploading it. But in the end I decided to do
so because the things I like about it outweigh the things I dislike.

The context was like this: the guy kissing the girl on the right was
watching the game intently. If you look at the TV in the background,
you can just about make out a player with number 10 celebrating. That
is Leo Messi, the world's best player IMO, who has just scored. When
he did, the guy spontaneously grabbed his girlfriend and started
smooching her to celebrate. I can think of many worse ways to
celebrate a goal :-) The girl on the left, who had been temporarily
deserted by her boyfriend (because the dork was more concerned about
his bladder than the game) was looking at the kissing couple.  What is
in the middle is not much, true. But this  is one of those images
where I do not think about composition, exposure etc. but just lift
the camera to my eye (or sometimes not even that) and just CLICK.

As for the noise, the camera was set on ISO 1250 and a manual shutter
speed of 1/15. Judging by the adjustments I had to make in Lightroom,
1/4 would have been more appropriate. So in effect you are looking at
an image shot at ISO 5000 or thereabouts.

Once again, thanks for looking and for letting me know what you think.
Please keep doing that!

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman