Re: [OM] (OT & OT) Panorama problem

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT & OT) Panorama problem
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 23:20:00 -0300
What you wrote is completely true.
My 15 year-old daughter frequently surprises me when she tells she was
able to hear a 'faint' high frequency tone, that of an old casio quartz
watch, whichever the place we are. I must be inside of a silent room,
not too big and preferable out of the city, to be able to perceive that
alarm tone.

But I think there is more when listening to music, than the hearing ability.
IMHO, the brain 'fills' what the cochlea is no more able to input.
The cilia in the cochlea die, mainly due to acoustic abuse but also due
to atherosclerosis of the inner-ear blood vessels.
Same reason as why the hearing range for men worsens more quickly than
the hearing range for women - and why men die at an earlier age.
I care of my hearing ability as much as I care of my teeth - yes Chuck,
we shall not discuss astatines again (I'm about to switch to
rosuvastatine soon), right? :-)
What I strictly avoid is using those plug-in headphones in the street or
anywhere, I refuse to use a .mp3 file for music (Apple helped regarding
this decision), I prefer to stay in silent places if I can choose it,
and -mainly- I don't listen to music everyday, nor at high volume. When
I do, well, I sit to listen to music and nothing else. Why 250 - 300
W/Ch? Amps able to deliver such an amount of power are better
constructed, therefore they distort less and have an amazing dynamic
range. Of course, I take my exceptions - sometimes I feel in the mood
for turning that volume knob clockwise ... :-)
So far, I am able to distinguish between compressed .mp3 music, as I am
able to distinguish between those two CDPlayers in my first pano - not
that the Yamaha is bad, the Meridian is awesome !

Thanks a lot for those links, I'll read them right now.
What I wrote above is what I think is true up to this moment, only.
Being a psychiatrist myself, my hearing ability is very very important :-)

Fernando.