Re: [OM] (OT & OT) Audio, was Panorama problem

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT & OT) Audio, was Panorama problem
From: "Ian Manners" <oice500@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 02:20:20 +1000 (EST)
Hi Ken,

> I carry earplugs nearly everywhere. If the sound level is high, in go the
> plugs. I'm not shy about it.

Me to, and if people ask me something in a noisy enviroemnt
I just say my hearings gone :-)

Always have a set of yellows in my pocket. Shame as it looks
like my hearing is going due to something else and not by
hearing damage :-(

Hopely the MRI I'm having this Thursday will offer a clue, if
not then I'm told its likely to simply be genetic so live with it.

> Unlike a tube amplifier which will have
> a continously smooth level of compression, solid-state amps tend to be a
> little more harsh about it.

I've always liked tube amps, not for the accuracy of reproduction
but the soft clipping, I use to have a set of Rogers from the UK.
Thats also why I designed and built my own Mosfet amps, a bit of
both worlds. It's a shame that MosFet amps arent more prevelent.

Took me a while to find a decent transistor/non IC pwr stage
amp for our TV/DVD in the lounge, there all IC models these
days which are even worse.

I've also been experimenting with using ferrite coils in x-overs
to help with saturation to soften transients with transistor based
amps. Not as easy as I thought it would be however. Trying to
balance that with the resistive networks to ensure that the levels
to the bass/mid/high are all taken into account I start to see why
no one else bothers....

I dont like Bose's, they have always sounded a bit to colored
to me in the low end in a home situation but after reading what
you say re setting them up in a church, I will admit I have heard
some nice Bose professional installations in large halls.

I use to fix the old church valve (electronic not air) organ,
that was so much fun to test, only to have them go and buy an
elcheapo organ for downstairs with one large speaker in the
console.

All the stuff I record/edit is done in wave, bit like keeping all the
originals in photography in ORF and/or TIF.

To me I equate MP3 as the same or worse level as JPG's

I'm slowly getting around to digitising my granmothers old 78's,
and made up a phono amp with difference curves due to the
large difference in the 78's depending on recording studio and
or the backalite manufactors. reminds me of the difference in
modern computing re standards.

Cheers
Ian Manners
http://www.comkal.net/

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you.