Re: [OM] The passing of a friend of photography & looking for a little i

Subject: Re: [OM] The passing of a friend of photography & looking for a little inspiration . .
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 11:26:11 -0500
Thanks, Bill, for posting the news of Bill Jay here on the list. I saw the
news on APUG the other day. I read his writings once in a while and enjoyed
his style and insight. Alas, in this world full of available information, I
never got past being an occasional reader of his.

Your book recommendation will be heeded and I'll put the request in at my
local library. I love the "essay" format for these kinds of books.

Over the past several years we've lost several very influential people in
the photographic world.  For one reason, many of these people are getting
OLD. There is a changing of the guard going on. There is no shortage of
younger talent, but instead we have so much wisdom being dispensed via
blogs, forums, workshops and books that it is much harder to spot the movers
and shakers among the masses. The "SLR Notebook" is no longer THE go to
column which everybody read every month.

I have found solace in identifying several people among the din whom I have
tremendous respect for. Are they any smarter than the others? Maybe, maybe
not. But what they offer is insights and opinions that I can understand
(they write in a manner my brain can handle the information) and the
photographic chops to back up what they are saying.  I've also learned that
anybody who doesn't make me a little angry at their writings or at my own
shortcomings isn't worth as much to me.

Although Bill Jay wasn't that to me, he was to many others. The photographic
community is better because he was in it.

AG