[OM] The brush comes through again...

Subject: [OM] The brush comes through again...
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 23:06:07 -0400
I think I've posted this link here before and I'm posting it again.
<http://www.prime-junta.net/pont/How_to/a_Brush_Your_Sensor/a_Brush_Your_Sensor.html>

The reason is that it just plain works and works well.  I don't get a
lot of practice at sensor cleaning but I have a large family group shot
coming up this weekend and I decided it was time to clean the sensor.  I
do it maybe once or twice a year.  The last time was in September before
leaving on the big trip.  Somewhere around the Mojave Desert a few dust
spots started showing up at f/11.

I normally clean for no dust visible at f/11 since I don't usually shoot
at smaller apertures.  This time I decided to go for squeaky clean at
f/16.  I applied my cleaning brush as usual but still noticed a dust
spot at f/16.  I decided to get out the Pec Pads and some Eclipse
(methanol).  I tried a different approach this time.  Roll the Pec Pad
into a cylinder and put a few drops of Eclipse on the end.  Apply like a
pencil eraser.  Wrong!  Pec Pads apparently have lots of dust and thread
cuttings on the end.  It made a mess of my almost clean sensor.
Thinking back to when I've used Pec Pads before (wrapped around a tiny
spatula) I think I recognized those threads.  I think they're there in
lesser numbers even if you're not using the cut ends like a brush.

Anyhow back to the trusty brush.  Sweep this way, turn it over, sweep
that way, rap the brush on the table knife blade, repeat quite a few
times.  Ah, clean again.  Well, not quite f/16 quality.  Looks clean at
100% at f/11 but f/16 still shows a tiny spot at 100%.  The spot
disappears at about 50% magnification though.  Probably won't show in a
print even if I should decide to shoot at f/16 (unlikely as that is).

Anyhow, I just thought I'd put in another plug for a safe, easy,
inexpensive and very effective way to clean a sensor.

Chuck Norcutt