Re: [OM] (OT) Web Page Design (was: High Noon)

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Web Page Design (was: High Noon)
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 23:30:02 +1200
Cybersimian wrote in response to what I wrote

Brian Swale wrote:
> Hence I was able to see that Opera 9.63 on Win XP DID render that LHS
> menu just  fine with no overlapping text.    None eversowhatly.
>
> Install Opera  and find out for yourself. :-)

Done!  (Opera version 9.64)  This is what the top left corner of the DP
Review home page looks like using Opera:

http://www.xenscape.com/imaging/anon/dpreview_opera.jpg

Yes, that's right, overlapping text in the navigation column!  To see this
for yourself with the real DP Review home page, change the following
setting
in Opera; click:

    Tools
    Preferences
    Set minumum font size to 16 pixels
    OK

Well, I am suitable chastened for my levity !!

I checked out what my model has and it is set to a font size of  9! Yes, nine.

So that's why I don't have overlapping text - there's a ton of space for the
letters.

But now I have a real quandary.  I write my own web pages from the ground
up, and I have never taken this aspect into consideration. Yes, I know to
check how they look in MSIE (ie iexplore.exe), and as long as they look
halfway reasonable I leave them.  MSIE is such a  poxy (pl excuse the
language) browser with sometimes horrible behaviour that I don't worry too
much if it screws up unless it's easily fixed when I do that..  ( The main
reason I use MSIE is for financial pages - it seems that banks etc tend to
use MSIE as their default browser).

Should I alter my own font setting - or not ??

Brian