[OM] Re: New/old member

Subject: [OM] Re: New/old member
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 16:32:09 +0200
 Hi, all.

I'd like to thank you all for the warm welcome!

From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Actually, we had a Spanish-speaking zuikoholic meeting here in
> Montevideo ... how many winters ago ?? :-)

It was on 2006. I'll have to dig into the hundreds of boxes of slides, but
i'll show an evidence of that ZA-meeting, I promise!

From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Welcome back, Carlos.  I'm trying to remember whether my Crown Graphic went
> to Italy or Spain.  You didn't happen to buy it from me, did you?

I don't thimk so, I purchased it from an yaBe seller, plus lenses (Angulon
90/6.8, Optar 135/4.7, Symmar-S 210/5.6) and other accessories from several
sources. Now I'm trying it with Polaroid film -- it feels SO convenient!

> From: Charles Geilfuss <charles.geilfuss@xxxxxxxxx>
> Welcome back Carlos. I look forward to more postings from Spain, but they
> must include senoritas. ;^)
>

> From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Welcome back! In case you haven't noticed, the list likes as many
> pictures of senoritas as our Spanish members can furnish. <g>

Well, I'll try not to deceive you ;-)

> From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Oh good, now Carlos can show us some Andalucía señoritas (the best!),
> to supplement mine from the the Valencia region :-)

I hope so, but be warned that most of the Señoritas in my "files" are of
foreign origin -- due to inmigration, this is a rather cosmopolite area!

> From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
> The 300D is a little dated from a specs standpoint, but it's quite a
> capable camera. Do you know about the firmware hack that adds several
> 10D features?

It does the job for me. I remember your posts about the upgrade, and I'm
sure I downloaded it on the old computer... but hadn't been brave enough to
install it :-( Seems I can live without it, though.

But I admit I have my eye on the Micro-Four-Thirds system... In fact, IMHO
the SLR concept has its drawbacks, but was "necessary" with film cameras
becuase it was the only way to preview the results -- kind of "pre-chimp".
But with a digital sensor, I see no point for the extra bulk, weight, noise,
vibration, mount-sensor distance (*bad* for wides!) and, worse for me, the
viewfinder goes "blind" during the real exposure -- I do a lot of
available-light pics with longish exposures.

In fact, one of the selling points of the OM system at its birth, was the
operation closer to that of a rangefinder system, instead of contemporary
(bulky!) SLRs...

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)