Re: [OM] DPReview on the "standard lens"

Subject: Re: [OM] DPReview on the "standard lens"
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 13:16:25 +0200
Hi, Mike and all,

From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> I always thought a "normal" lens could be determined by zooming in and
> out while looking through the viewfinder with both eyes open. When both
> images align look at the zoom setting.

Not really, that just depends on the viewfinder magnification. For instance,
the magnification of the OM-1 "with a 50mm lens focused to infinity" is
x0.92, while tha OM-4 does x0.84 (@ -0.5 diopters, I have read figures like
x0.75 otherwise)

It usually is somewhat above 50mm

As can be deducted from the sligthly less than real life magnifications...
Some DSLRs (not FF, of course) may have larger-than-life magnifications,
though.

> which explains the older normal lenses in this range.

As explained in my previous post, there were technical reasons behind it.

OTOH, it may be interesting to have a life-size viewfinder in a rengefinder
-- it won't be affected by the taking lens at all! The Voigtlander Bessa R3
series cameras have it, which allows to keep both eyes open (unless you're
left-eye dominant, like me) at the cost of being less suited for wide
angles.

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)