Re: [OM] OT - anti virus & utility programs

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - anti virus & utility programs
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 14:40:41 -0500

> > I wonder if big industry, education or government puts much faith in
> freebies such as AVG?
> First of all the freebies are only licensed for personal use. And I
> don't think it's so much the cost as the functionality. A large
> organization wants to be able to install and maintain on multiple
> machines over a network with as little cost as possible. I think that's
> what the professional packages are selling. A free edition would be much
> more expensive in practice. For all I know the definitions update may be
> the same for both personal and institutional editions. Also the free
> personal editions are a foot in the door for an upgrade path to a
> version tarted up with "features" of dubious utility.

They aren't necessarily "tarted up".  You'll see that the free version is
for home, non-business use only. They don't exist to sell free versions.
AVG, and so forth are actually rather competitive in the business world.
Market penetration obviously isn't as high as the top two, but that doesn't
mean anything.

AG