Re: [OM] This weeks pictures for fun - and it includes a beer as nathan

Subject: Re: [OM] This weeks pictures for fun - and it includes a beer as nathan left his out
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 21:51:41 -0700
SwissPace wrote:
> http://www.thattimeoflife.smugmug.com/gallery/8100207_JddWM#545144832_bytU7

Lots to like there.

Of the white flower, you say "I liked this flower although it didn't
seem to photograph as well as I would have liked"

The problem is mostly exposure. Same problem as shooting snow, only not
quite as bad. So much of the subject is bright that the ESP metering
averages it down to middle tones. The E-3 has a  highlight spot button.
That would probably have exposed it correctly. Anyway, much may be done
in post. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Swiss/Wflower.htm>

The snail has the reverse problem. A small, bright subject on a field of
dark leads to overexposure of the bright parts. In this case, only the
bright, direct reflection on the shell is completely blown out. Bring
down the rest and whaddaya know - texture, and some color, in the shell.
And what I took to be a spot on the shell turns out to be a hitchhiker!

However, most of the recovered highlights on the upper shell contain
only luminosity detail, and so are grayish. Copying only colors from the
rest of the shell makes a good recovery.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Swiss/Snail.htm>

Ya paid fer da spot meter, dood, put it to use!

Moose