Re: [OM] This weeks pictures for fun - and it includes a beer as nathan

Subject: Re: [OM] This weeks pictures for fun - and it includes a beer as nathan left his out
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 09:50:31 -0500

> We had the expert around yesterday and he said they will try first to
> just clean just  the swimming area and check if the pump is okay,
> otherwise the whole lot needs emptying and replanting, even so with such
> a big replacement of water I guess it will need 4-6 weeks to stabilise
> again so it looks like we will miss most of this summer, at least though
> the council will be paying for it. Although annyoing I am well aware of
> others who have suffered much more from water damage so I have to keep
> things in perspective and on a plus note the water lillies in it
> flowered for the first time yesterday ;-)

Around here, the contractors are supposed to implement a pretty high
standard in erosion and runoff control during road construction projects.
That kind of damage they would be liable for.

In a way, it's kinda stupid, these variable laws.  Here you have a
construction project, such as construction of a culvert, that requires total
runoff control. But the culvert clogs DURING construction from the runoff
from the farmfield next to it. Just in the ten years I've lived in Iowa,
I've seen an incredible change in farming practice. Iowa used to be easily
identifiable from an airliner because of the contour farming. Now, the vast
majority of fields are plowed in straight lines and terraces have been
removed.  That's fine if you have only reasonable rains, but a deluge will
easily remove truckloads of soil from some areas.

AG