Re: [OM] [Leica] IMG: From Bath to hernia surgery

Subject: Re: [OM] [Leica] IMG: From Bath to hernia surgery
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 06:27:12 +0200
Cc: Olympus Camera Discussion <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Picture a Day discussion group <pad@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Thanks to the many of you who looked and commented on these pictures.
Just a few clarifying points:

- the hernia surgery was in Alicante, two days after coming home from
England. It was not an emergency, just something that needed to be
done sooner rather than later. It was scheduled like this so that I
would have the maximum time at home before the next trip, which is to
Warsaw in about a month.

- my promotion is from Head of Service to Director of a department,
making me a member of the Management Committee of our institution. One
of the quirks of EU staff regulations is that a promotion does not
automatically involve a raise, depending on where in the pay scale you
are to begin with. In my case, there is no raise involved. Instead, I
will probably have a longer workday and of course more responsibility--
but also a more varied and interesting job.

- according to the doctor, I must stay home for 2 weeks, so the
planned date for return to work is June 8th. In the meantime, I am
also not allowed to drive, so whatever pictures I take these days are
within a few hundred metres of my house--it is hard to walk much
further than that at the moment.

Finally a comment on Britain's NHS. I know it is a favourite sport to
complain about it. I have never experienced it myself, but my son has
during his almost 2 years in Bath, and from what he tells me, the NHS
is much better than its reputation. And as a parent, I derive comfort
from the knowledge that if anything happens, he has access to good and
free medical care in England, no ifs and buts (he is also covered by
my EU health insurance until he turns 26, so for the next 6 years he
is the best-insured person in the family).

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain
http://www.frozenlight.eu