Re: [OM] Card readers. sellers & service

Subject: Re: [OM] Card readers. sellers & service
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 22:03:28 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Thanks.  I just bought two of them.  I noticed they have "micro SD" slots.  I
> just bought a new cell phone which has a micro SD slot and a 1.3 MP camera.
> Maybe I can download pictures now.

We've had two LG8300s for a couple of years. We have a 2GB micro SD
cards in them. And indeed, they may be accessed with the card reader.
Out cards came with adapters to fit them in standard SD card readers,
which is how I've looked at them before,but it's nice not to need to
find the adapter.

Unless the camera has improved a lot in the newer model, I don't find it
very interesting. I took a couple of pics with it, then ignored it. You
need to change a setting to have it save images to the card, rather than
internal memory.

> I also bought a data cable for the phone but haven't been able to find a USB
> driver for it so can't read or write anything directly.  Verizon LG VX8360.
> I can't even find anything on LG's site.

They way these things are marketed these days, the service provider
handles all that stuff. Probably because the OS is customized for/by
that provider.Ours are from Verizon and we bought with them a relatively
inexpensive kit with CD, data cable, a pair of earphones, etc. I don't
recall specifically, but I suppose it included a driver.

Verizon depends on Windoze Media Player to manage music (and I suppose,
images?) However, the file setup is simple and easily managed via a card
reader. If you want, I can take a look at the CD and send you the useful
files to try out and a look at the file layout.

If you wonder why the big cards when we don't use them as cameras, it's
because we do use them as music players. Other than slightly low output
volume, they work very well for that.

Moose