Re: [OM] Alien 35-105? [was Oily 300/4.5. Suggestions?]

Subject: Re: [OM] Alien 35-105? [was Oily 300/4.5. Suggestions?]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 14:11:25 -0700
Chris Crawford wrote:
> Maybe it isn't made by Tokina, maybe Cosina or Kiron, or Sigma or Tamron?

Could be any of them, of course. I looked at the Tokina because there
were persistent rumors/discussions/assertions on the list in the old
days about it. It does seem on the face of it to make sense to source a
lens from someone who has already done much of the engineering and
production design. Also, because I came across a reasonably priced one
to check out.

Kiron didn't make variable aperture zooms under their own name. Their
28-105 is varifocal.  They did make a 35-135/3.5. Kirons just feel very
different than Zuikos, too. If you handle Kiron zooms and the Vivitar
Series I they made, the similarities are obvious.

I don't believe Tamron did that kind of outsource work at the time.
Their 35-105/2.8 is a very different design than the Zuiko and similar
Tokina.

Sigma never made anything remotely close to that focal length range
under their own name.

Cosina is the likeliest of the bunch, I suppose, as Oly later
collaborated with them on the OM2000 and two zooms.

Moose