Re: [OM] The Glendenning's Garden

Subject: Re: [OM] The Glendenning's Garden
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 19:29:34 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:

> Yes, the bokeh in the background of the woodpecker it very edgy. Strangely,
> it's the same lens and focal length as the poppy shot but with different
> backgrounds and distances.

Practically every time there's a discussionof bokeh here or I read about
it elsewhere, there is no or almost no mention of the effect of subject
and background distances. As your poppy and woodpecker shots ilustrate
those factors are crucial.

> I'll give the Gaussian blur a try.  I have a lot of other woodpecker shots
> which I didn't use because there's even more of that edgy background.  That
> particular shot is cropped to make the bird larger but also to eliminate some
> of the edginess.

I've put my little test up. IF working at full size, the blur setting
would probably be different.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/CNorcutt/PilWoodPecker.htm>

Moose