Re: [OM] The Glendenning's Garden

Subject: Re: [OM] The Glendenning's Garden
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 14:29:06 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> The rollover didn't work but the image is your modified version so I was able
> to compare directly with my own.

Huh, I just tried it again and it worked for me. Oh well ...

> I'm impressed with the effect since it not only removed the edginess but
> seems to push the background further back.  It gives the woodpecker a 3D-like
> effect.

As the Schnozz d'Argent says, our eyes are attracted to contrast edges.
Remove them and that part of the image stops attracting attention.

> I'll definitely work on that when I get the chance.

I didn't do it here, staying simple, but I also sometimes play with
brightness and curves of the background, which makes the background even
less obvious.

The only "trick" is that I often have to clean up the edges of the mask
to get a natural looking transition.

I've been looking for other techniques, but so far, simple gaussian
and/or surface blur seem to work pretty well on many images

Moose