Re: [OM] An object of beauty

Subject: Re: [OM] An object of beauty
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 08:50:14 -0500

> No, the point is to have manual shutter control + TTL, say use 1/8s with
> TTL. In manual mode, 4/4Ti does not provide TTL flash control.

Exactly!  When event shooting, it is quite common for me to be using 1/30 or
even 1/15 with flash.

On the other hand, TTL flash in OM system only provide average metering, it
> seldom provide accurate exposure as the object are usually too small or
> background is too far away to provide enough/proper reflection.

Very true.  However, if you drag the shutter to keep the ambient two stops
down, the flash exposure is rarely too out of line.  Besides, if you are
shooting Fuji professional print films, it is actually a good thing to lean
into the exposure a bit.  An overexposure of one stop with the flash seems
to be about right. Prior to the Portras, we had to do that with Kodak films
too.

The E-System flash is much better but it can also be fooled by small but
> highly reflective object such as mirror.

This is one reason I still love using the IS-3/G40 combo. The flash power is
set by distance as determined by the autofocus.  Up to about 20 feet it is
almost dead accurate. Beyond 20 feet, Olympus fudged the calculations a bit
by assuming room reflectence and added the bounced light to the direct
light. From 20 feet and beyond, it helps to exposure compensate +1.0.  When
working outdoors and needing flash fill, I've been completely satisfied with
the flash exposure.

> My most wanted feature on the OM System is high sync speed, while most
> other
> manufacturers were providing 1/250s OM's 1/60s was just way too slow. I'm
> not really interested in TTL flash with slow speed sync., I can always use
> auto flash as a replacement.

This is, most definitely, the biggest achillies heel with the OM System.
Frankly, at this point, it's a non-issue for me because most of my flash
work is digital now and if I'm fighting mixed lighting (sunlight + fill) I'm
better off with digital.

However,

I've observed that I tend to rely upon new capabilities and think that it
would be impossible to use something as lowly as 1/60 flash sync.  When you
have 1/250 ability, you tend to shoot at 1/250.  Somehow I survived for a
couple decades without anything faster than 1/60. But all of a sudden the
brains have been parked and I can't figure out how to shoot at 1/60.

AG