Re: [OM] Alien Bee radio slaves

Subject: Re: [OM] Alien Bee radio slaves
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 22:28:13 -0400
Actually, this year I might have been able to get away with PS shadow
fill.  For the first time with this family (an annual event) I had a
completely shaded shooting area but with overcast skies and open shade.
  Eye socket shadows for sure but fairly weak and well within the range
of PhotoShop. Usually I'm in the shade of a large tree but with
significant sunlit areas in the background.  That requires enough flash
power to bring the exposure of the folks in the shade close to the level
of the sunlit areas in back to prevent them from totally washing out.

This is the kind of shooting situation I usually see.  Note the sunlit
areas behind but also note that they're not blown out.  Not easy to do
since there is about a 5 stop differential between the shade of the tree
and the sunny 16 background.  But I did end up with a couple tell-tale
flash shadows.  It also required a gradient exposure adjustment from
front to back because of the light drop off of the flashes.
<http://www.chucknorcutt.com/family.php>

IIRC, this shot predates my Alien Bees.  I think the light for this shot
was provided by four T32s arranged like this.
<http://www.chucknorcutt.com/gear/Umbrella%20adapter%20mounted%20on%20tripod%20%232.jpg>

Chuck Norcutt