Re: [OM] This weeks pictures for fun - and it includes a beer

Subject: Re: [OM] This weeks pictures for fun - and it includes a beer
From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 05:27:53 -0700 (PDT)
Moose,

Pissing contests always ruin the experience...pun intended..:P

I remember the time seventeen years ago when I came to US and at the popular
store shelfs Budwizer and the likes were the kings.  They occupied
approximately eight tenths of the area.  Now this ratio has been reversed...

I know of Urquill very well, to me it is a toss up between it and Grolsh.  I
also get some Peroni from time to time.  Trumer Pils is something I'd like to
try.  My local liquor store is very small, but they have excellent selection
and I have not been able to seriously challenge them with my requests so far.
I shall enquire it at my weekly fridayafterwork visit.

If this fall you intend to be any near RI please, gimme a ring, send an email
and I will take you to Aidan's where we could discuss the merits of the OM
system, how I would like Canion so much better if their bodies had a good AS
and beer of course...
It is located in Bristol, city so cute and perfect you wont want to leave.
Thats where the oldest continuous running 4th of July parade happens
also...built on slave trade money I hear.

Boris

Willie Wonka wrote:

> Northeast is leading the beer industry of the entire world.

No need to get into a pissing contest. Let's just say that the
microbrewery movement in the US has led to a complete turnaround from
the time when all US beer was poor quality to a time when great brews
are available all over the country. Once the availability of technology,
equipment and supplies met public interest, it spread all over the place.

It did start in Berkeley, with that "fight the Feds fellow" I wrote
about who got the law that made small breweries impossible overturned.

> I just had the best ale in my entire life this weekend.
>
> Comes from here:
>
> http://www.oldeburnsidebrewing.com/index.html

If we get to New England this fall as planned, we will be staying near
several of the named outlets and I'll give it a drink or two or ...

> Northeast is literally littered with breweries and it is hard to find bad
> beer.
>
> Having said that, one thing that you cant find in the US is a good lager,
> especially like the ones brewed in the Southern and Eastern Europe.  Never
> had a Romanian beer, but had some excellent Czech, Italian and
> Bulgarian...Sometimes I get Becks here to satisfy the crave, but it is not as
> good.

I assume that, like here, you can get imports like Pilsner Urquell and
decent German lagers like DAB and Späten Mũnchen. I think there are
several better than Beck's.

Back in Berkeley, we have a great local, European Pilsner, Trumer Pils.
Trumer has been brewing beer in Salzburg for over 400 years. Five years
ago, they started brewing their Pils here with all imported Austrian
ingredients except for the local Sierra snow melt water.

It's not a bad pilsner: :-)

"In April, 2008 Trumer Pils won the Gold medal at the World Beer Cup for
Best German-style pilsner. An extraordinary accomplishment for Trumer
Pils following the Gold medal win at the last World Beer Cup competition
in 2006. Winners were selected by an international panel of 129 beer
experts from 22 countries judging an impressive field of 2,930 entries
from 646 breweries in 58 countries."

Trumer's success here has led to expansion in the US. Maybe it won't be
too long before you have a good local lager in the NE. But still behind
us. Oh well, beer always leads to pissing of some sort. ;-)

Moose