Re: [OM] Image Storage on the Road

Subject: Re: [OM] Image Storage on the Road
From: Sandy Harris <sandyinchina@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 08:00:15 +0800
Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I burned DVDs all through my trip but I won't do it again.  Too
> expensive, fussy and time consuming.  I'd have been much better off with
> an 80GB 2-1/2" USB drive.  I would download from the cards to the hard
> drive on the laptop.  Then copy to the external USB drive.  Finally, I
> wouldn't re-use cards until necessary which would have given 3 copies
> for 80% of the iamges.  That reminds me I still need to buy that 80GB
> 2-1/2" drive.

That's OK if you travel with a laptop, but not everyone does.

In your place, I'd be looking for one or more large USB flash
drives. They come in sizes up to at least 32 G now, and I
trust solid state devices more than ones with moving parts,
especially for travel.

Alernately, many tourist areas have shops that will burn
DVDs for you. Buy several 4 gig memory devices for the
camera. When one is full, take it to a shop and have
them put the data on DVD. I do that twice at different
shops for safety.

--
Sandy Harris,
Quanzhou, Fujian, China