Re: [OM] Image Storage on the Road

Subject: Re: [OM] Image Storage on the Road
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 23:10:54 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I burned DVDs all through my trip but I won't do it again.  Too  expensive,
> fussy and time consuming.

I did that on long trips. I didn't think it was expensive, as DVDs are
dirt cheap and I used rewritables. But it was indeed fussy and time
consuming.

> I'd have been much better off with an 80GB 2-1/2" USB drive.  I would
> download from the cards to the hard
> drive on the laptop.  Then copy to the external USB drive.

Almost what I do, except the USB drive I have also has a simple OS, a
screen and a CF card slot. Use directly as USB drive or, without
separate computer, plug in a card, push the little button, and it
downloads the card by itself. I'm sure it's not as good as the the
Epsons, but is smaller and cheaper. It's also been discontinued when the
maker was absorbed by another, but hey, it works, and gives me something
small as a back-up to as yet not overwritten cards and to the files on
the notebook that I can keep in a different bag/place.

If I were starting from scratch today, I'd get a modest netbook and a
simple external drive.

> Finally, I wouldn't re-use cards until necessary which would have given 3
> copies for 80% of the iamges.  That reminds me I still need to buy that 80GB
> 2-1/2" drive.

Why so small, $10-15 will double it to 160GB.

Moose