Re: [OM] ( OM ) OT making web-pages meaningful for search engine robots

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) OT making web-pages meaningful for search engine robots
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 12:05:23 -0400
The alt tags are used by search engines for images. How else do you think
Google Image Search finds them? The alt tag helps people who cannot see and
it tellss the search engine what the picture depicts. The computerized
'spider' that search engines use cannot see a image, all it sees is code
telling that an image is there, what its filename is and how big it is.
Nothing more. The alt tag lets the search spider 'see' the photo.

See here, a tutorial from Google on SEO for image search:
http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=114016

"The alt attribute is used to describe the contents of an image file. It's
important for several reasons:

It provides Google with useful information about the subject matter of the
image. We use this information to help determine the best image to return
for a user's query."

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography