Re: [OM] Image Storage on the Road

Subject: Re: [OM] Image Storage on the Road
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 23:31:25 +0200
Hi all,
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
>So is saving the CF/SD cards as digital film a viable back-up strategy?

Long term storage of digital media is a difficult issue... you can't just
leave the media unattended, it must be checked/duplicated/converted from
time to time.

>If the data is as secure as burning a DVD, would be rather convenient,

I don't think recordable optical media (CD/DVD/BluRay) is the most secure...
I know of a rather descriptive phrase in Spanish, but I don't know how to
translate it accurately:

"Decir que un CD-R es una copia de seguridad, es como decir que una soga al
cuello es una cuerda de seguridad"

More or less: "Claiming that a CD-R is a backup, it's like claiming that a
rope around the neck is a safety harness" ;-)

>IIRC, manufactuer data sheets have claimed data good for 10 years.
>Shouldn't the data rot bit by bit with ECC codes to  help compensate?

Usually, when a CF (or any solid-state media) fails it will show up when
_writing_, whereas a dying optical media will fail while _reading_ -- when
it's already too late :-(

From: Wayne Harridge <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>My local minilab does it.
>
>They have a sign which says something like "Make sure to verify the
>images on your DVD BEFORE deleting them from your memory card".

LOL! Really well done!

I friend of mine burned a disk during a trip... and AFTER deleting the card
he discovered that they just burned the pictures on the card, NOT the
(funny) videos on it!

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)