Re: [OM] ( OM ) OT making web-pages meaningful for search

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) OT making web-pages meaningful for search
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 01:30:43 +1200
Chris Crawford wrote

> The alt tags are used by search engines for images. How else do you
> think
> Google Image Search finds them? The alt tag helps people who cannot see
> and it tellss the search engine what the picture depicts. The computerized
> 'spider' that search engines use cannot see a image, all it sees is code
> telling that an image is there, what its filename is and how big it is.
> Nothing more. The alt tag lets the search spider 'see' the photo.
>
> See here, a tutorial from Google on SEO for image search:
> http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=114016
>
> "The alt attribute is used to describe the contents of an image file. It's
> important for several reasons:
>
> It provides Google with useful information about the subject matter of the
> image. We use this information to help determine the best image to return
> for a user's query."

Thanks for that.

In my pages I provide the equivalent text in visible words so that people
visiting the page can see the words just as the spiders can.

Then when (eg) Google finds the page with the phrase sought, this phrase
shows  in the search result paragraph. I don't recall such a paragraph
providing a search return for an alt tag; maybe they are rare.

Brian Swale.