Re: [OM] Another big article on the Olympus Pen and Micro 43 on Zone-10

Subject: Re: [OM] Another big article on the Olympus Pen and Micro 43 on Zone-10
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 15:44:57 -0500

> I already don't like it.  No viewfinder.

OK, let's ASSUME for a minute that this is a legitimate photograph of the
real thing. Without confirming or denying, let's put a couple of thoughts
down:

1. Olympus (and Zone-10) have been heavily promoting the Pen series as the
signature camera which is the essence of what Olympus has been all about.
 The tie-in with the 50th anniversary of the Pen cannot be ignored or
underestimated.

2. The Olympus m43 camera has got to be one of the most anticipated
camera(s) in years. Only Olympus can pull off this kind of extremely risky
venture by creating a market where there was no market before.  It would
have been impossible to succeed with this kind of product five years ago
while the market DEMANDS were for DSLRs. Now that we have our DSLRs, the
market is now ready for something different.

3. A cup of coffee from the Breville Cafe Roma is WONDERFUL, especially with
a fine, but not extremely fine grind.

4. WHAT?  NO VIEWFINDER?  Is it really an issue?  If this camera had a
built-in EVF we'd be grousing about that. If it had an optical viewfinder,
we'd be grousing about how it doesn't adapt to zoom lenses (although, this
was addressed in a few Olympus products by somebody that we actually know).
 How do you use an optical viewfinder (like a rangefinder camera) with a
camera that takes interchangeable lenses and zooms of extreme focal-length
ranges?  Besides, as the LCD monitor takes up such massive amounts of
real-estate, there probably is no way to add a viewfinder of either form
without enlarging the camera! Then we'd be grousing about the size of the
camera.

5. External viewfinders plugged into the hot-shoe.  Frankly, I'd rather have
a floating-line, two-eye open accessory finder with 1:1 magnification.

6. This is only ONE of multiple m43 bodies.  :)

7. You think I'm going to buy an E-3 now????  LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

8. Guess what camera is going into my OM bag next to the OM-3Ti and OM-4T?

9. And finally... See Zone-10 article about multiple prototypes and designs
floating around until the final minute. This is very likely a real picture
of a final design, but not necessarily of THE final design. Probably safe to
assume there is at least three variants of this exact same model. Which
one(s) get introduced in a few days is anybody's guess. Yet, given the
intense PEN marketing, it's probably pretty close. I am impressed with the
classy look.

AG (oh, and imagine what silvernosed lenses would look like on it) Schnozz