Re: [OM] Another big article on the Olympus Pen and Micro 43 on Zone-10

Subject: Re: [OM] Another big article on the Olympus Pen and Micro 43 on Zone-10
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2009 21:10:35 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Yes, it's an issue with me.  I think it's just nutty to hold a camera out at
> arms length to see the screen while it competes with the sun.

Hey they already make your camera, this one's for folks like me, who
like LCDs

I do think one thing that separates those who like LCDs from those who
don't is vision. Look at the young people with young vision, they don't
necessarily hold the camera far out. It's the older folks with poor
close-up vision.

I don't hold the camera out at arms length. Through my glasses, I tilt
my head up a bit and use the reading part of the progressives. For
straight ahead shots, I more commonly slip my glasses down my nose a bit
and look over them. Then, I hold the camera about 8 in. from my face,
where I can see everything very clearly and it is usually shaded if the
sun is behind me.

I suppose that it also helps that I don't care if I might look silly
holding my camera out in front of my face, at whatever length. :-)

> As I said in my last post what I was hoping for was a *usable* EVF.

When I say they already make your camera, I refer to the G1. Have you
read the commentary on the EVF in dpreview, especially the comparison to
the E-420? <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmcg1/page5.asp>

This first Oly m4/3 camera is all about size. You can't do that properly
with an EVF. According to Ken, the G1 is mostly Oly inside anyway. So
now there are two, and they are different from each other for different
needs, I think that's good.

Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Oh, I much prefer the LCD when the camera is on a tripod.  Maybe I'm jaded by
> the poor brightness level of the 5D's screen.  It's just not usable in sun.

I agree, but that doesn't mean much to me. The 5D doesn't do Live View,
so I'm never trying to compose on that screen. If I need to view it in
bright light, I just turn and hold it in my shadow.

The LCD performance of cameras that actually rely wholly on the LCD is
much more significant. The F10 was pretty good. But the sun above and
behind me, it was near useless. Shade it with my head and I just saw a
perfect reflection of my face in the screen. The F30 is much better. It
goes brighter and the AR coating is much more effective. Usable in
virtually any light I've encountered.

The A650 screen isn't quite as good as the F30 - BUT - it's twist and
tilt, so I can always find an angle for it that isn't compromised by
light and/or reflections.

Moose