Re: [OM] GPS suggestions

Subject: Re: [OM] GPS suggestions
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 07:49:44 -0400
For going places I've never been.  I don't make a detailed plan since I
don't know what I'm going to find that's interesting or how long I might
want to stay.  But the GPS is not mounted on the dash or windshield to
be viewed.  It's just setting in the console where it can easily be
picked up if needed (and viewed by the passenger, not the driver).  But
I don't really need to look at it since it talks and gives turn-by-turn
directions.  My wife says she talks too much... as in giving too much
advance notice of upcoming turns.  I have named her Gabriella (Gabby)
Garmin.  It also has a male voice but I've never tried that.  The
synthetic voice is quite amazingly real.  The only times you notice that
it is synthetic is that it occasionally stumbles over pronunciation of
place or street names.

It just occurred to me that the voice may be the reason this one cost as
much as it did.  I've never compared prices and features.  But I would
not be without the voice for driving alone.

Chuck Norcutt