Re: [OM] GPS suggestions

Subject: Re: [OM] GPS suggestions
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 13:21:07 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> What's the brand/model of the GPS that gives you AAA Travel Guide listings?

It's a Magellan 4040. I think there are a couple of Magellans in the
4000 series with the AAA feature. Quite convenient, and one may update
that info on the internet.The AAA info is in addition to Magellan's
regular extensive list of POIs. I don't remember for sure, but I seem to
recall that if you have the GPS set up with Bluetooth link to a cell
phone, it will dial the location in the AAA listing for you..

> I have a Garmin Nuvi 350 which my son gave me as a gift.  He paid $302 for it
> from Amazon about 1-1/2 years ago.  I'd never have paid that much.

This looks like a newer or fancier version of the one we have.
<http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4266217&CatId=2374>

It adds voice commands is the only difference I see right off. And
probably a year newer maps. Map updates aren't cheap, $60 with AAA
discount, but I'm not sure they are necessary before the unit is
outdated, lost, dies, etc. I havn't bothered.

> It has numerous entries for restaurants and hotels but I have to
> cross-reference the AAA travel guides in book form which can be tedious
> (although worth it in the end).
>
> We need a CHDK equivalent for GPS units that can customize the firmware to
> include tracklogs.  :-)

Great idea, but contrary to Andrew's Moose the Hacker concept, I'd
rather buy another $100 unit than try to hack anything like that.

Moose