Re: [OM] Speaking of Trains

Subject: Re: [OM] Speaking of Trains
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 14:28:07 -0400
GREAT SAND DUNES NATIONAL PARK, Colo. <http://www.nps.gov/grsa/>
I had never heard of this place before yesterday when my wife pointed
out this article she had found in the Boston Globe.  It's located smack
in the middle of Colorado not far above the southern border.
<http://www.boston.com/travel/getaways/us/articles/2009/06/07/wild_and_windswept/>
I'd never believe such a place existed... especially since it's located
at 9,000 feet altitude.  The sand is captured in a valley and has
nowhere to go other than to be constantly shifted by the winds.  We
don't think we'd be very good at climbing 650 foot dunes at high
altitude but you younger folks can have at it.

Unfortunately, I can't find the dozen or so stunning photos of the dunes
that accompanied the article.  Heavy concentration of stark light and
shadow. The park's site has some but they don't concentrate on the
dunes.  Here are some others
<http://www.terragalleria.com/parks/np.great-sand.html>
<http://www.terragalleria.com/panorama/national-park-panoramas.great-sand.html>

Chuck Norcutt