Re: [OM] GPS suggestions

Subject: Re: [OM] GPS suggestions
From: alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 13:32:34 -0700 (PDT)
AG,

You are a technical dude, so I dont have to explain to you what the limitations
of the GPS system are.

Add to this the obsolescence issues and lack of good mitigation plan and you
will easily see why soon the systems performance will be degraded for the next
few years...which I think it is sad.

I think you should narrow down your requirements and see which unit the online
community supports.  For example:  If you were to go geocashing, you definately
need a Garmin unit, just because of the convenience of being able to download
the coordinates automatically. Geocashing.com dozent support this feature for
other brands...

I reely dont like Garmin's mac-approach to software.  Luckily, if you have the
time and desire, you can easily convert any map.

I have the waterproof Garmin 60csx same as Frank's, which is a gift to me.
I have the NA street map and the topo map both purchased separeitly.  Have
heard some form of critisizm in online forums about the latter in terms of
being an inferior product, but in my experience, I encountered a missing trail
only once here in the NE and we go hiking almost every weakend.

It works wonderfully on planes even if you arent next to the windoz.  It also
does everything the car units do, but the talking.

Maybe others with handheld units from other companies will share the following
in order to help you out:

Things I dont like and had better expectations:

-Drift
-vertical accuracy, it tends to show that you are about 10 feet higher than the
actual altitude.
-as i recall seven feet of estimated accuracy is the best I have ever seen.
-manual is bad.
-maps dont overlap, or if they do, I dont know how it is done or how to switch
between maps if that how it is done, and reely dont have the time to look it
up.

Once again, IMHO you should start by researching which units/brands are
supported by the online groups involved in activities you are interested in.

HTH

Boris