Re: [OM] (IMG) Deep Purple

Subject: Re: [OM] (IMG) Deep Purple
From: Wayne Harridge <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 08:55:41 +1000

> Carlos  wrote:
>

> Being non-spectral is not an issue... but colour perception is a very
> complex matter, especially when dealing with electronic devices, which
> usually behave much differently than the eyes!
>
> For a start, the usual RGB model is severely mismatched to the eyes'
> response: the short cones have their sensitivity peak at around 430 nm,
> which is not blue, but _violet_. The 'green' cones are OK, at 540 nm...
> but
> the long cones peak at 572 nm, which is GREENISH-YELLOW -- nowhere near
> red!!!

Very interesting, I've been pondering this stuff recently, I hadn't realised
that the eye isn't very sensitive in the red part of the spectrum.

> Some films (e.g. Agfa Vista) have tried to mimic this response by
> shifting
> the red response towards the green. This renders the film almost useless
> for
> astrophotogaphy, where the eye's already poor response to Hydrogen-alpha
> line (656 nm) is most desired -- emission nebulae.

So how does/did Vista work for "normal" subjects (landscapes, portraits) ?
I would think that it would make sense to have a film/sensor mimic the response
of the human eye.

...Wayne

Wayne Harridge

http://lrh.structuregraphs.com