Re: [OM] reasonably priced 3Ti 270400363196 you know where

Subject: Re: [OM] reasonably priced 3Ti 270400363196 you know where
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 06:16:48 +0800
I have not disassembly any Canyon lenses but I bet all of them has
mechanical calibration. I found calibration point for all the lenses I have
disassembled, calibration is a necessary procedure for all MF lenses, I
doubt it is not for AF. I have seen spacers (thin rings) of different
thickness put around the rear mounting of AF lenses, they are for adjusting
the distance between the whole lens to the film plan.

For AF lenses, if you never tried to use MF and zoom without re-adjust the
focus you will never know whether your lens can maintain focus or not since
every time you 'zoom and shoot' the AF re-focus again.

All lenses were calibrated before ex-factory and they are accurate to a
certain extend, but with live view you see what is real accuracy. Since I
acquired all my lenses used and many of them are over twenty years old so
re-calibration is required due to age (use) or they have been disassembled
for cleaning by the others and without a good calibration. Among all lenses
I have purchased some do work accurate enough to skip this re-calibration.

The story I heard about purchase and sell to get the best lens is just the
famous 70-200/2.8 IS L, for cheap lenses it does not worth the effort. I'm
trying to do the same for Tamron AF24-135 as I like this range and the
quality (when it is well calibrated) but I will buy used one, unfortunately
it does not appear very frequently. The last one I bought was having very
uneven performance from left to right but I sold it at no loss. This kind of
problem is seldom seen with MF lenses.

I just re-checked the test shots I done for my friend's 17-40 L, there is
also a hint for the above problem:

http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/IMG_1759.JPG

C.H.Ling