Re: [OM] Packing for two weeks - Going all Rockwell on you.

Subject: Re: [OM] Packing for two weeks - Going all Rockwell on you.
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 17:19:32 +0200
Hi ken,

You don't need all this stuff, and certainly not three 35's. You're
not doing event photography, so you know you don't need all those zooms!

Ok, if it were me (I enjoy limiting myself) I would take one of the
following two kits:

Primes (best quality, you know it...)

24/2.8 - need wide
50/3.5 - best general image quality of the lot, and for the inevitable
close-ups
100/2.8
300/4.5

Do you really need 35mm?? Unless it's specifically your fabvourite
focal length,
but I think the 24 / 50 plus foot zooming will get you what you want.
Also, after 100mm, just go as long as you can, and you know how much
you love the
300/4.5 (I do mine).

The other option (minimalist) kit is

24/2.8 (never leave one's widest lens at home...)
35-80 - live with the distortion, everything else is fantastic
100-300/4 - covers the rest of the range, and you say it's really
good, I've never use it

My standard minimal kit (and which I also took last month
to the beach) is:

24/2.0
50/1.4
90/2.0 Macro
300/4.5

with the 135/3.5 often thrown in, but for the way I shoot, after 90mm
you just want LONG.

I know it's difficult, but one must not think about the "what ifs" -
it's so much more fun to limit yourself purposefully, take your
*favourite* lens that lives on the camera most of the time, and two or
three supporting lenses. That favourite lens is different for anybody.
If I had to take just two lenses, it'd be 90/2.0 Macro and a 35 - either
35/2.0 or 35/2.8 Shift. For 35/2.8, I put my Minox 35GT [f/2.8]
(the whole camera actually weighs less, and I think produces better
image
quality than the OM 35/2.8 lens, but not sure) in my pocket :-)

Have fun,
Dawid